Sign in to follow this  
Presmyk

Shotshell reloading questions.

Im wanting to get into shot shell reloading mainly for waterfowl  , turkey, and predator  hunting loads. I have a 12 gauge and  wanting  the capability  to do 3 and 3.5"  shells.  Whats the simplest  setup and methods?   I reload rifle and pistol now  shotguns just seem  like a different system.

• Like 1

It's been awhile since I messed with reloading shotgun shells. The components were skyrocketing. It was cheaper to go to Wal-Mart and pay 23-24 bucks for a 100 pack of Federal, Winchester or Remington shells (before the current state of affairs).  Lee used to make a entry level loader, don't know if they do anymore or not. MEC makes probably the most used press.  Lyman makes a shotshell reloading manual that you might want to check out before you spend any money getting into it. BPI is a company in Minn that deals with shotgun stuff, you can check out their website also.

• Like 1

Just went down this road recently myself and I can share some info. Readers correct me if I'm wrong -

To load the types of shells you listed, the setup won't be the simplest unless you buy all hand tools, which may be your answer. You might shoot steel for waterfowl and hevi-somethings or lead for turkey and predators. In an all-in-one system, this brings you to at least a MEC 600 with interchangeable shot bars for the different shot type and weight. I'm not familiar with 3.5" reloading but I believe it would take a higher-end model as well.

In metallic reloading, you can swap case brand, primers and powders and "work up." A big difference in shotshell reloading is following recipes exactly and finding those components right now. Hull-primer-powder-wad-shot-etc must all match. 

Hand sizing, powder/shot measuring, and "rolling your own" might be the best setup option for hunting applications.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CouesPursuit said:

Just went down this road recently myself and I can share some info. Readers correct me if I'm wrong -

To load the types of shells you listed, the setup won't be the simplest unless you buy all hand tools, which may be your answer. You might shoot steel for waterfowl and hevi-somethings or lead for turkey and predators. In an all-in-one system, this brings you to at least a MEC 600 with interchangeable shot bars for the different shot type and weight. I'm not familiar with 3.5" reloading but I believe it would take a higher-end model as well.

In metallic reloading, you can swap case brand, primers and powders and "work up." A big difference in shotshell reloading is following recipes exactly and finding those components right now. Hull-primer-powder-wad-shot-etc must all match. 

Hand sizing, powder/shot measuring, and "rolling your own" might be the best setup option for hunting applications.

What are all the hand tools? i saw videos on the hand roll crimp in a drill press  are there hand resizing  tools?

3 minutes ago, Presmyk said:

What are all the hand tools? i saw videos on the hand roll crimp in a drill press  are there hand resizing  tools?

I thought I saw discussion about them in my research but I didn't go that route. It may have been limited to pre-primed, unfired hulls.

This doesn't get you the cost savings but it gets you tailored rounds not available elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, CouesPursuit said:

I thought I saw discussion about them in my research but I didn't go that route. It may have been limited to pre-primed, unfired hulls.

This doesn't get you the cost savings but it gets you tailored rounds not available elsewhere. 

When I was looking into it I just figured I would buy new hulls every time. Its still cheaper when you shoot 3.5in shells. Not sure about the smaller stuff. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Presmyk said:

Im wanting to get into shot shell reloading mainly for waterfowl  , turkey, and predator  hunting loads. I have a 12 gauge and  wanting  the capability  to do 3 and 3.5"  shells.  Whats the simplest  setup and methods?   I reload rifle and pistol now  shotguns just seem  like a different system.

MEC 600 JR is a simple way to go. You can do 2 3/4" or 3". It's a single stage press where you move the empty from station to station by hand. You can add an auto primer feed which makes reloading even simpler. Changing from 2 3/4" to 3" is a matter of adjusting the main tower stem by pulling a screw and inserting it into a different slot. Current price about $250.

• Like 2