Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Nosler E-Tip results

I went out this morning with the best E-Tip loads for the Kimber and HS Precision 300 WSMs, but seated 0.1" off the lands instead of 0.01" There was no improvement in accuracy, but a loss of about 100 fps. Notice that the more accurate loads are about 100 fps less than max for my rifles, and the powder charge is 3-4 grains less than what is used for other conventional bullets (heed the note found in the E-Tip bullet boxes).

Looks like I will be stay with 1" 3-shot groups with 150 and 180 E-tips for the HS and 1.1" 3-shot groups with 180s for the Kimber- definitely m.o.e./minute of elk. The Kimber does not like 150s as it sprays them into 3-4" patterns. Hopefully an AZ bull elk will succumb to an 180 E-tip from the 300 WSM. Would be nice to recover the bullet to see performance, but really would prefer a pass-through for 2 leaky blood holes.

Chosen loads:

HS Precision 300 WSM

150 E-Tip

66.5 gr Ramshot Hunter

3102 FPS, 0.93" 3-shot group

HS Precision

180 E-Tip

63.0 gr Hunter

2886 fps, 1.04" 3-shot group

Kimber 300 WSM

180 E-Tip

65.0 gr Hunter

2946 fps, 1.10" 3-shot group

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=3&bullet=20

Doug~RR

Doug,

I have not had the best of luck getting the solid copper bullets to shoot well. I have however had very good results with the MRX, if you can stomach the price.....

That is going to be my big animal/big gun bullet.

I am also looking for a bullet/load for my wifes elk hunt. The new American hunter magazine mentioned that the E-tip had some issues with the petals breaking off and the exit holes being on the small side.

Just thought I would mention it. Especially if it not a real accurate bullet for you.

:ph34r:

Jeff,

How does your CZ group other bullets in comparison to the E-Tips?

MoreD,

All of the reports I have read mention that the E-Tip opens to a greater frontal diameter than the Barnes TSX. No mention of losing petals, which has sometimes happened with the TSX. I read the Sept AH where it mentioned smaller exit holes, but did not read about lost petals.

Doug~RR

Sorry Doug,

I am wrong. The XP3 have issues with petals breaking not the E-Tips.

Sorry for the confusion.

:ph34r: