Sign in to follow this  
devinv

which model of rifle do you prefer?

I read back several pages in the rifle forums so that I wouldn't be asking a question somebody has before and I was looking at getting a 7mm or .270 wsm because of the similar ballistics, yet the 7mm magnum has more knockdown power throughout several hundred yards. It seems a lot of people say the .270 is a good all around rifle but some say it is to small for elk. I'm leaning more towards the 7mm magnum for an overall hunting rifle.

my question is which model of rifle to get? I've read a lot on the Browning A bolt, Remington 700, Tikka T3, sako a7, Ruger M77 Mark II, weatherby vanguards and mark v, winchester model 70, i want to keep it around the $1000 mark and get a good quality reliable rifle thats not built cheap.

Remington 700. Also, Weatherby Vanguards are supposed to be great on out of the box accuracy. Also a Savage, although ugly, they usually shoot like a house on fire!

Mike and Devin, here's my opinion, feel free to agree or disagree ;) .

Quality and accuracy together?

I like the warmth of pretty wood and the grip of nice checkering. Wood stocks can be sealed in the channel, action, checkering and under the grip cap and recoil pad to combat the little rain and snow AZ receives. On the basis of quality, I would rule out the Savage, Tikka, Rem SPS and other rifles with injection molded stocks and plastic parts :wacko: .

Chambering would range from the 270 to the 300 Mag. I have used the 260, 6.5 WSM, 270, 280, 7RM, 300 WM , 300 WSM on coues hunts, While my elk have been mainly with a bow, I used the 300 WM and 300 WSM successfully on a few hunts. The 270 and a good bullet will work on elk. My taxidermist has used the 270 and 130 Core-Lokts on many elk. The 7 Rem Mag offers longer range capability for coues and good bullet/ammo selection for coues and elk with tolerable recoil- a top choice for the question posed.

I like the ergonomics of the Kimber 84 and 8400, but find the recoil a little much in my Kimber 300 WSM with 180 grainers. Kimber accuracy has also been hit or miss.

For factory rifles, I would consider the Cooper 52, Nosler Custom, Sako, Winchester Super Grade (will like to see a new one out of SC) to satisfy the quality and accuracy requirements of the original poster.

For just one rifle to cover coues and elk, I would likely choose the Cooper Model 52 Western Classic chambered in 280 Ackley Improved. A classy, accurate rifle with case colored receiver and octagon barrel in a cartridge that provides 7 Rem Mag performance. Nosler offers both brass and loaded ammo for the 280AI.

http://cooperfirearms.com/rifles.php?rifle_name=wc

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=3&s=148

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b...s=&t=Custom

My 2 cents (well, closer to 4 grand)

RR

I think Outdoor Life had an article on most accurate rifles out of the box. unfortunately they used a whole bunch of different calibers which made it a little flawed in my opinion. the best one of all of the guns they tested was the Weather Vanguard Sub-MOA in 30-06.

For the money - I do not think you can argue with the Rem 700 out of the box. Looks of choices to choose from. blue, stainless, matte, nickel. wood, plastic, camo, laminate. the choices and combinations are pretty extensive.

i forgot to mention affordable :o

i had it narrowed down to those few, stuck between the tikka, browning a bolt, remington 700, weatherby vanguard, and the ruger mark II, havent had a chance to see them for myself but from those with experience handling those models was curious as to which which ones seemed the best quality and shot the best

Wood or synthetic stock?

Polished blued, matte blued, or stainless?

Round or squarish fore-end bottom? ie kimber vs weatherby

blind magazine (ADL) or hinged (BDL) or clip?

Max range you can shoot accurately?

More coues or more elk?

Lightweight, medium or heavy? Hike or roadhunt?

What is your recoil tolerance? What have you shot that is uncomfortable? What big game cartridge felt mild to you?

Wood or synthetic stock?

Polished blued, matte blued, or stainless?

Round or squarish fore-end bottom? ie kimber vs weatherby

blind magazine (ADL) or hinged (BDL) or clip?

Max range you can shoot accurately?

More coues or more elk?

Lightweight, medium or heavy? Hike or roadhunt?

What is your recoil tolerance? What have you shot that is uncomfortable? What big game cartridge felt mild to you?

those are some really good questions

-i like both synthetic and wood, but i have been known to slip on my butt while hiking, so the synthetic may be more suitable, more scratch resistant

-don't really have a preference on the finish, then again i dont know the pros/cons of all of them really..

-same goes for the next question on your list, not sure about the fore end bottom

-either clip is fine

-i have shot out to 300 yards very accurately from a bench as well as off hand, but would like to learn to shoot further

-more coues than elk, easier to get drawn for obviously, but want it for all around big game as well varmint

-don't mind weight in the rifle if it means a more quality built one, i do hike a lot, but i also weight lift every day in the gym so it doesnt bother me

-lastly, i've shot several rifles in .270, 30-06, 300 wsm, recoil doesnt bother me much at all

all in all i want a solid built rifle even it means spending a little more, but i still cant afford to completely break the bank. the 7mm mag seems to have those qualities, i just dont know which rifle in itself to get.

i retyped my initial question as well to help out.

I have a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. On the bench, recoil is not enjoyable. Offhand, it's fine. Accuracy for my particular rifle was outstanding right out of the box.

I also have a Weatherby SubMOA in .257 Weatherby Mag, recoil in both cases is pleasant. Accuracy right out of the box is outstanding.

I have a Remington 700 VS in .308, synthetic stock and heavy barrel. Gun weighs a ton so recoil is, well, there is none. Accuracy out of the box is outstanding.

This probably helps very little, but just my 2 cents.....

a pre 64 model 70 is the "ONLY" choice for a serious hunter. in .270, well that's just icing on a really good cake. Lark.

Devin,

The Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA is available in 7 Rem Mag and 270 WSM, et al. It has a pillar bedded synthetic stock that is not flexible injection molded like the regular vanguard and savage and Tikka.

http://www.399weatherby.com/_pdf/2008_Vanguard.pdf

The Kimber Montana is available in 308, 270 WSM and 300 WSM. Many times, a $30 recrown is said to help some Kimbers with accuracy problems. With a 308 and 300 WSM, you can shoot the 180s for elk and 150s for deer.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/8400/8400_montana_wsm/

For 300-500 yards, a 308 would also be a great choice without the magnum recoil. We read about some long shots over 500 yards on coues, but I suspect most are taken near 250-300 yards, as has been in my experience.

Both Kimber Montanas and Sub MOAs can be found under 1000 bucks. Sportsmans Warehouse may be your best choice for best pricing.

Another rifle to consider would be a Remington with a laminated wood stock. The Mountain LSS is available in 270, 280, and 30-06. Svelte, good looking and handling, and the harder laminated stock will resist your foot slips. I had one in a 260 Rem once.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms...n_LSS_specs.asp

I would not consider either 7 mag or or the like for predator hunting if a hide is wanted. You might want separate big game and varmint/predator rifles later when funds allow.

more 2 cents

RR

thanks for all the help, one last question, would the mark v synthetic be a better option than the vanguard? i read the vanguards are howa actions made in japan and the mark v's are produced in michigan and are of better quality?