Sign in to follow this  
jonesface

Nikon Buckmaster BDC

I was just getting everyones 2 cents on the Nikon Buckmaster scopes with the BDC recticle. Does anyone have it and do you like it? ;)

The BDC does work very well. I have the Nikon Omega with BDC and it is a great scope for thee money.

Keep in mind, they use cirlces instead of dots... (less accurate). From what I have read, the circles are about 2 MOA....

Someone correct me if my math is wrong (which is very possible) but at 500 yards, 2 MOA means that the circle has 10 inches inside of it. If you shoot a 1 MOA group at 500 yards that is a 5 inch group... That adds up to 3 MOA that the bullet could hit within, and that is 15 inches....

I dont know if that makes sense, but it makes sense in my twisted mind.

Keep in mind, they use cirlces instead of dots... (less accurate). From what I have read, the circles are about 2 MOA....

Someone correct me if my math is wrong (which is very possible) but at 500 yards, 2 MOA means that the circle has 10 inches inside of it. If you shoot a 1 MOA group at 500 yards that is a 5 inch group... That adds up to 3 MOA that the bullet could hit within, and that is 15 inches....

I dont know if that makes sense, but it makes sense in my twisted mind.

Yes that does make sense good point.

I have a nikon monarch BDC - I put it on a new gun and got everything all figured out with it, my ammo and my gun. before my last hunt I put 3 shots at 400 yards in a 2.5" group. you just have to figure out for your gun and ammo if 200/300/400/500 is top, middle or bottom of circle. it gives you 2 more options for zeroing your gun at each yardage than just the dots. if you are not going to do turrets but want something more than just a regular duplex scope it is probably the best way to go.

I have the Monarch BDC on the top of my AR and was shooting an 8in rock at 350 yards on Sunday with no problem. Like the other poster mentioned, you just need to shoot your gun at the range to find out where it shoots. There are only a couple differences between the Monarch and Buckmaster. The Buckmaster has 92% light transmission compared to 95 witht he Monarch. You will not have the longer 4 inch eye relief that comes on the newer Monarchs either. But the Buckmaster is still waterproof, fogproof, and shockproof just like the Monarch. The best part is they both carry the no-fault warranty. David

I have a nikon monarch BDC - I put it on a new gun and got everything all figured out with it, my ammo and my gun. before my last hunt I put 3 shots at 300 yards in a 2.5" group. you just have to figure out for your gun and ammo if 200/300/400/500 is top, middle or bottom of circle. it gives you 2 more options for zeroing your gun at each yardage than just the dots. if you are not going to do turrets but want something more than just a regular duplex scope it is probably the best way to go.

Thanks for the info everyone. I went ahead and bought it 4.5-14x40 buckmaster with the BDC for my 22-250. Im excited to see how it shoots now! What is the purpose of the parallax adjustment just to focus at those different yardages?

no - maybe someone can explain the parallax adjustment (Doug - aka RR - aka Mr Professor).

the important thing to note is when you zoom your scope out to use the BDC's - you can not adjust the magnification - in essence - when you are using the BDC's you are using a fixed power scope that always needs to be set at the predetermined magnification power. this is one of the drawbacks to the BDC's is that if you are shooting at twilight and need to reduce the magnification in order to gather more light than you can not use the BDC's

This article will help explain parallax adjustment, and another one I found on another site. David

http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5026&PN=1

WOW thanks for the info Aint going to lie a lot of that went way over my head :blink: I think I got the gist of it though