Sign in to follow this  
atforest

Unit 6A?

I have been doing alot of reading on this site so first, thanks for all the great posts. This is my first year for rifle hunting and whitetail hunting. I drew a whitetail tag for unit 6A at the end of October. I have been a little hesitant to ask any questions, but after reading BowNut's post on unit 22 I have to ask the same thing. Are there parts of 6A that should be avoided due to high traffic? I have two spots picked out to scout and of those two I will pick one to hunt after I have scouted them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have been doing alot of reading on this site so first, thanks for all the great posts. This is my first year for rifle hunting and whitetail hunting. I drew a whitetail tag for unit 6A at the end of October. I have been a little hesitant to ask any questions, but after reading BowNut's post on unit 22 I have to ask the same thing. Are there parts of 6A that should be avoided due to high traffic? I have two spots picked out to scout and of those two I will pick one to hunt after I have scouted them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

We had that tag last year and we saw more hunters than deer. We were hunting in the lower half of the unit towards fossil creek. I would look to hunt towards west clear creek i have also seen some whitetail behind happy jack area. good luck!

Good luck on your October hunt. I too have a 6A whitetail tag after your hunt in November, and it is my first time hunting whitetail in 6A. I have been scouting south of 260 near the Fossil Springs Road, and found some nice bucks. The good thing I am away from roads and trails, so hopefully over pressure wont be an issue. Let me know how your October hunt goes.

When I had a 6a tag many years ago, many hunters were along the west edge of Fossil Creek off 260, and near Casner Mtn on the north side of Wet Beaver Creek. Good Luck on your hunt.

RR

Good luck on your October hunt. I too have a 6A whitetail tag after your hunt in November, and it is my first time hunting whitetail in 6A. I have been scouting south of 260 near the Fossil Springs Road, and found some nice bucks. The good thing I am away from roads and trails, so hopefully over pressure wont be an issue. Let me know how your October hunt goes.

Thanks for the link, that was some good information about the closure. We also have a full tag, 4 hunters. I have shot some nice bucks in 21 and will hold out for a mature buck or go home empty. The other three on my tag, have yet to harvest a deer, so most of my time will be helping locate a buck for them. Im sure they are not picky, except a spike or small forky. Does any one have info about Cedar Flats or Bull Pin area north of 260, around fr 618. Hows the pressure in that area.

Thanks for the link, that was some good information about the closure. We also have a full tag, 4 hunters. I have shot some nice bucks in 21 and will hold out for a mature buck or go home empty. The other three on my tag, have yet to harvest a deer, so most of my time will be helping locate a buck for them. Im sure they are not picky, except a spike or small forky. Does any one have info about Cedar Flats or Bull Pin area north of 260, around fr 618. Hows the pressure in that area.

I drew a 21 whitetail tag and any info you would share would be appreciated.

For Unit 21, I have a few good spots, what areas are you looking at, FYI were you asking about 21 a while ago, first time hunting in the area and not finding any whitetail? I know easy access areas where whitetail are hanging out and some rough areas, without pressure. Let me know.

For Unit 21, I have a few good spots, what areas are you looking at, FYI were you asking about 21 a while ago, first time hunting in the area and not finding any whitetail? I know easy access areas where whitetail are hanging out and some rough areas, without pressure. Let me know.

LOOKING FOR THE LITTLE HIDDEN POCKETS THAT WONT HAVE MUCH PRESSURE! I HAVE BEEN LOOKING IN THE BLOODY BASIN AREA.

LOOKING FOR THE LITTLE HIDDEN POCKETS THAT WONT HAVE MUCH PRESSURE! I HAVE BEEN LOOKING IN THE BLOODY BASIN AREA.

Try off the 677 forest service which runs north and south between dougas and bloody basin. The hills on the east side of this road hold good pockets of whitetail. Coming in from Dougas go in about 3 miles, and same from coming in from bloody basin. There are many trails heading east off this road that lead you into good whitetail area. The road is rough and keeps road hunters out. I recommend an ATV, or good clearence 4wd

I have hunted the 6A whitetail hunt which can be very difficult. The key is sit the water holes in a double bull blind between 8:00am and 3:00pm and those bucks will come, usually more between 10:00am - 2:00pm. If you have patience this will pay off. Good luck to all!!!!