Sign in to follow this  
creed_az_88

Field judging methods

Do you guys have any techniques for scoring deer in the field...especially in high pressure, quick decision situations? What works best for ya guys? I expect to get tons of replies considering all the "professionals" that cruise this forum looking to give out their secrets any chance that they get.

creed

I always try to remember the deer I've already taken and scored and judge the deer i find by what i know what a certain deer scores. say i find a buck that has a rack thats just inside his ears and not very tall. i will go back and say ok he looks like the deer i shot back in 95' and that one scored about 80" so I'd judge him to be close to the same. its a lot of guess work but if i jump a deer and I am in a pressure situation to get a shot off i look for 2 things. width and more importantly height. usually your best scoring bucks carry tall 2nd and 3rd points.

C.J. McElroy, the guy who founded Safari Club International and took hundreds of trophy animals from obscure places all over the world, always said if you have to ask yourself if it's a trophy then you shouldn't shoot.

"You'll know it when you see it," he told me.

Problem is, my view of a trophy is different than his or most of you. After editing the SCI record books for sixteen years, such books do not interest me.

I no longer measure my trophies with a tape measure but by the experiences of the hunt. A little spike buck I shot years ago in Texas with a $50 muzzleloader ranks just as high in my personal book as any of my "real trophies" because it got me interested in hunting with and building muzzleloaders at a time few others were doing it.

Bill Quimby

Well said Bill. I feel the same way. I hunt to enjoy my time in the mountains and get away from civilization and re-energize the soul. A trophy is nice if the opporunity presents itself, but the hunt is not lost without one. :)

First off, straight out tine length is where the majority of the score comes from. If his rack reaches for the sky, hes a good buck, and probably a shooter! Of course, great mass and width add up also.

A good way it to look at his frame. If he is as wide/wider than his hears and tall, he has the "frame" of a big buck. And in a pinch, that is good enough for me.

If you have time to sit and look at the deer, look for some measurements that stick out... 4+ inch eyeguards, 6+ inch g2's 4+ inch G3's. If his beams reach out and touch his nose = big buck!

Like others have said, if he gets your heart goin, hes the right one!

If YOU like him, shoot. If YOU don't, then pass.

Can't get much simpler than that.

If YOU like him, shoot. If YOU don't, then pass.

Can't get much simpler than that.

That's pretty much the method I use.....

I certainly have spent time estimating tine length and main beams and such, but really when it came down to it, it was just a matter of if I wanted the buck or not. If I have to spend a bunch of time deciding if his 3rds are 6 inches or 7.5 inches, etc....then it's probably not a buck I want. Usually, I know right away if it's a buck I will shoot.

Amanda

C.J. McElroy, the guy who founded Safari Club International and took hundreds of trophy animals from obscure places all over the world, always said if you have to ask yourself if it's a trophy then you shouldn't shoot.

"You'll know it when you see it," he told me.

Bill Quimby

I havent hunted coues long enough to know how this applies to them but in my experiences hunting mule deer I would have to say yeah . If you glass up a mule deer and you turn to ask your buddy " Hey do think this buck is very big ?" ,well he isnt . When you spot a big one you say "Holy Cow! , man look at that BIG buck .

Would I be too simple minded if I mentioned........

'No Brainer'......... or.......... 'Not good enough'

;) :P ;)

Actually... I guess.... sometimes I'm right..... sometimes I'm wrong.... ;) Really.... I'm not joking! ;) :P