Sign in to follow this  
NativeRat

Precautions in southern units

I have a leftover 36B tag Nov 28 - Dec 4 . Anyone else with that hunt who wants to pm me at builderesq@msn.com, I like to have contacts down on the border just in case of an emergency or to swap info. I built houses for a little while down around Tubac and hunted and explored in my spare moments. I usually hit the Buenos Aires for mulies (and ducks) in January with a buddy, so I know some parts of those southern units (34/36).

I have run into illegals more times than I can count, but so far I have been lucky and not encountered any really bad hombres. So on that topic -- just thought I'd ask what do other people do for safety precautions in those units? I have the BP and other numbers stored on my cell phone, but no satellite phone. I carry a sidearm in archery season, and I try to let people know exactly where I'm going. And even though I enjoy solo hunting (esp. archery), on these hunts, I try to bring a buddy or at least talk to other hunters in the field. What about y'all?

The main concern, besides personal safety, is keeping your camp secure. It is not just illegals in the southern units that will ransack a camp. The illegals mostly want food or water. I have heard that some people will leave some water and food outside for them, maybe that keeps them from entering a tent or...?. Keep any valuables locked in your vehicle. If you see anyone carrying burlap or large packs, don't even let them see you. Just contact the border patrol and give them GPS location if possible.

Does anyone have the direct line to the BP for the southern units? Last year in 35a we had a UDA ask us to call the border patrol for help and so I dialed 911.....the next thing I know I'm talking to BP in Texas.....they had no idea what the heck I was trying to explain to them. So for those of you that have the phone numbers to the BP for the southern units please post up or PM me.

I'll be hunting 34a in Late Nov early Dec.

Also, this is what AGFD give us: To report UDAs, call the Border Patrol at 1-877-872-7435, or in the case of an emergency, dial 911. But I think the other number is probably better.

I hunted in 35a last year and never saw one illegal and i was literally throwing distance from border. I have the same tag this year and sure hope i see no illegals and a ton of deer :D

I have the earlier Nov 36b tag, but I'll stay in Arivaca--maybe at the RV park or Arivaca Lake. A secure camp is my main concern.

God luck to all and be safe--BOB

I have a early nov 36b tag too, Not sure what the final decision will be as of yet.

I hunted in 35a last year and never saw one illegal and i was literally throwing distance from border. I have the same tag this year and sure hope i see no illegals and a ton of deer :D

You did'nt see any illegals because you were too close to the border. ;) Travel a little more north and they will be tapping you on the shoulder when you are glassing! (Like my hunt in 36B last year!) We hunted the mid section of 36B and had illegals everywhere including some drug runners. I will be headed down there again early Nov. so hopefully we won't have the same encounters as last year. Good luck to everyone hunting down south!

In 36c last year saw uda's twice , first time it was 4-5 with large packs just as it was geting dark . Second time it was just this guy here, in the middle of the day .

post-704-1219380391_thumb.jpg

I LIVE IN RIO RICO AND I ALSO HAVE A LATE NOV TAG IN 36B, I'VE LIVED HERE ALL MY LIVE SO IF ANYBODY NEEDS ANY HELP ON THERE HUNT DOWN HERE I'LL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP OUT,MY CELL NUMBER IS 520-980-0358. IT JUST DEPENDS IN WHAT PART OF 36B YOUR HUNTING IN, LAST YEAR I HUNTED THE SAME AREA AND INCOUNTERED A LOT OF MOVEMENT BOTH ILLEGALS AND TRAFFICKING OF DRUGS SO I'M MOVING TO A DIFFERENT MORE SECLUDE AREA I KNOW. LIKE I SAID PLEASE CONTACT ME IF ANY OF YOU GUYS NEED HELP.

post-565-1219616652_thumb.jpg

This was last year in 36B,

Always carry a a sidearm, a gps and a cell phone so you can call them in.