Sign in to follow this  
SilentButDeadly

lonely pop-trailers on National Forest land

I think it should be "first come first serve". I don't think it is fair to take a spot you are not using. If you want it that bad then go up early! Also there are other people other than hunters that like to use our forests.

If you want it that bad then go up early!

Whichs brings up a thread like this! :lol:

Just out of curiosity, does it really bother a lot of you guys if someone wants to leave their trailer up there? I'd have to say that it doesn't sound like a bad idea if you're up there scouting prior to a hunt and don't feel like pulling it back and forth each weekend. Yeah I'm sure some of them are trying to stake claim on a spot while others are probably just trying to save a little time and money on their trips.

It does not make a difference to me. What someone does with their trailer/tent is their business and not mine.

I say if it's not illegal then technically the guys who leave their trailers are the first come first serve fellas. I myself would not do it but if it's legal what the heck right?

I say if it's not illegal then technically the guys who leave their trailers are the first come first serve fellas. I myself would not do it but if it's legal what the heck right?

The point is that it is not legal, just poorly enforced.

Actually, it is legal. To an extent. Per the AZ BLM website (referenced by the USFS) covering "Dispersed camping" it states....

"Dispersed camping is allowed on Public Lands in Arizona for no more than a period of 14 days within any period of 28 consecutive days. The 28-day period begins when a camper initially occupies a specific location on public lands. The 14 day limit may be reached either through a number of separate visits or through 14 days of continuous overnight occupation during the 28 day period. After the 14th day of occupation, the camper must move outside of a 25 mile radius of the previous location until the 29th day since the initial occupation. The purpose of this special rule is to prevent damage to sensitive resources caused by continual use of any particular areas. In addition, campers must not leave any personal property unattended for more than 10 days."

So leaving your trailer, tent, truck, trail cams etc in the woods, alone for less than ten day is perfectly legal as long as it does not leak any hazardous materials, sewage, or gray water.

That is interesting I had always heard that the 14 day limit started once the camp occupied the spot not 14 days of occupation within a 28 day period.

Actually, it is legal. To an extent. Per the AZ BLM website (referenced by the USFS) covering "Dispersed camping" it states....

"Dispersed camping is allowed on Public Lands in Arizona for no more than a period of 14 days within any period of 28 consecutive days. The 28-day period begins when a camper initially occupies a specific location on public lands. The 14 day limit may be reached either through a number of separate visits or through 14 days of continuous overnight occupation during the 28 day period. After the 14th day of occupation, the camper must move outside of a 25 mile radius of the previous location until the 29th day since the initial occupation. The purpose of this special rule is to prevent damage to sensitive resources caused by continual use of any particular areas. In addition, campers must not leave any personal property unattended for more than 10 days."

So leaving your trailer, tent, truck, trail cams etc in the woods, alone for less than ten day is perfectly legal as long as it does not leak any hazardous materials, sewage, or gray water.