Sign in to follow this  
SilentButDeadly

lonely pop-trailers on National Forest land

What is the deal with pop-trailers chained to trees along dispersed camping sites on NF roads? How long can they be left? Does the Forest Service care during hunting season?

What I have seen in the past is guys bring their trailers and set them up early to "stake their claim" to spots they like. some even do it weeks ahead of time, especially in areas of limited camp spots or access. I think you are allowed to camp for 14 days before you have to move, but I am not sure if it applies to unattended campers, you would think it would?

I wonder what stance the FS takes on this?

I think 14 days is the max and does apply to unattended trailers. the FS will fine people for exceeding this. I was in unit 1 turkey hunting a few years ago and there was an unattended trailer that had been there since before opening weekend. the FS ranger we talked to gave the guy a ticket.

Just get the license plate and description of the trailer, and call it in to FS law enforcement. I have done this several times, and the FS usally reacts pretty quickly.

we just talked to a FS guy about this, he said 14 days on an attended trailer.

If it is left alone and there is nothing changed to it, one day they will leave it, next day they will tag it for removal.

You may not leave them up there unattended for more than 2 days or it can be towed away.

No matter how bad I wanted a spot, I would never leave my trailer sitting around because of all the thieves and vandals that seem so numerous these days.

It's actually kind of funny. I've seen trailers and 5th wheels left all summer at certain spots around Big Lake. Ironically, one year I had a coues tag in 24A and I and a friend both hauled our campers down on Tuesday after work to get a good spot. On Thursday there was a note from the Forest Service stating that it "not allowed", according to the statute they sited, to park your trailer with the intention of reserving a spot. These trailers were not there 48 hours before I was getting the "talking to" while others are left for months on end at some of the most desired sposts in the high country. Go figure. It all depends on who complains and who is "on-duty".

No matter how bad I wanted a spot, I would never leave my trailer sitting around because of all the thieves and vandals that seem so numerous these days.

I have heard of guy's pulling up trailers that are just able to roll down the highway and leaving them at their spot. Does not bother them if its broken into or not cuz there is nothing in em :(

Just out of curiosity, does it really bother a lot of you guys if someone wants to leave their trailer up there? I'd have to say that it doesn't sound like a bad idea if you're up there scouting prior to a hunt and don't feel like pulling it back and forth each weekend. Yeah I'm sure some of them are trying to stake claim on a spot while others are probably just trying to save a little time and money on their trips.

its a good idea but what I've done in past is put up an old 5 man tent at the spot i want for about a week or two early. Then when I go up I pull the trailer and take down the tent. If someone steals the tent oh well its a tent not my nice trailer.

It doesn't bother me in the least, I say give it a try.

I think the law is to keep the hippies from "living" in the forest and also to stop homesteading but I don't know.

We were looking into it, thats why we asked a FS guy the law.

It seems like they never catch the worst offenders, but the nice guy who asks permission, well he gets the hammer ha ha.

I'm starting to really wonder about this site. :rolleyes:

I've set my tent/camp up the weekend before a hunt and left some of my gear there just to keep from having to haul it all back up later that week. Its nice to know that when you leave after work late and get up to your spot late you don't have to spend a couple hours having to find a spot and setting up camp in the dark to go to bed. We've left out toy hauler up at a camp site, with a vehicle for the week just to save from having to haul it up later. How does the FS determine that a spot is "saved" or the owners arn't gatting up early to scout, and coming back late?

Just out of curiosity, does it really bother a lot of you guys if someone wants to leave their trailer up there? I'd have to say that it doesn't sound like a bad idea if you're up there scouting prior to a hunt and don't feel like pulling it back and forth each weekend. Yeah I'm sure some of them are trying to stake claim on a spot while others are probably just trying to save a little time and money on their trips.

It only bothers me when you exceed the 14 day forest service limit. Its the similar to the other post about trying to claim a waterhole, it is all public land and should be first come first serve. If you want to save a spot then there are campgrounds that take reservations.