recurveman

judging hold over on a coues

I'm looking at my ballistics and wondering how to judge what 12 inches, 20 inches ect is at a given distance. I know that there are certain measurements that are pretty consisten on a coues and I'm wondering what everyone uses and how reliable it really is. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

recurveman

What I have done is to equip my scopes with target turrets and adjust the elevation to be zeroed at the lasered distance. Then hold the crosshairs where you want to hit. A ballistic program and range verification will tell you how much to come up with the elevation. I have a chart taped to the stock. Stoney Point makes turrets for the older Leupold Vari-X scopes for about $25 bucks apiece, or Leupold can retrofit the scope with turrets. This system has worked well for me.

I have not tried Leupold's B&C plex or Burris' Ballistic Plex.

What is the back to brisket on a coues- 14"? Big deer, small buck, uphill, downhill, quartering away, broadside? Lotsa variables for a WAG.

Doug/RedRabbit

Guest Ernesto C

In addition to Doug suggestions if you dont have a scope with turrets I suggest:1- you practice a lot.2- Make your decision at what distance you want to have your rifle zeroed in or sighted in.3-Mark the distance,100,200,250,300,350,400 etc etc.4-Use a big box or card board with 6 or 8 inch EZ to see targets.5-Aim dead center at each distance from a solid rest(make groups of 3 shots and take at least 5 minutes bettwen groups)6-Record how many inches your bullets are droping.

Once you know what your rifle is doing star all over again but this time try to hit the bulls eye.If you are using a 8 inch target for example and you aim right at the top of the 8 inch target where will you hit at 350 yards?? Are you still hitting the target?? How many inches did your bullet drop?

Again once you master your self on those distances(or the distance you decide)now is time for MORE practice;like Doug said you must practice down hill shots,up hill,across canyons etc etc.

A problem for all hunters recurveman is to judge distance in the field specially with out a range finder so leave yours at home and try to find your self a canyon,place 12x12 box in the bottom of the canyon and another acrros in front of you,you must estimate the distance with your bare eyes and try to hit the bull eyes in those boxes...if you miss you must try again until you get really good at it.

In another words.......if you can hit a 8 inch circle 3 times in a row at 375 or 400 yards there will be deer meat always in yout table ;) but again practice alot and them more and more and.....

Remember to practice a lot and always use the same ammo and same grains.

I better stop typing all this bull :D later and God bless

you're all too technical. my range finder is the dust that blows up when i miss the first shot. i look for that and adjust accordingly. sometimes i screw up and hit em the first shot and there ain't no dust. it really confuses me too. Lark.

If you figure an average coues deer's chest is about 15 inches from the top of the back to the bottom of its chest you should be pretty close. For my gun the bullet drops 8 inches at 400 yards, so I can hold the horizontal cross hair right on the deer's back and put the bullet right in the center of the chest.

"Help Cecil Help!!"

"I'm comin' Beanie Boy!!"

I haven't thought of that in years. Now I know what I'm supposed to do when it rains during AZ hunting season :lol:

Lark's visual rangefinder is a tried and ture method. With quick reactions, it actually is possible to use that. Just be sure you have a lot of ammo and a good backstop when that hot lead starts flyin!

I practice ranging things as I walk or kike. Estimate the distance then verify it with a rangefinder. Do this while you are scouting, and with a little practice, you will get pretty good, and be able to leave the rangefinder in your pocket.

i only have 3 ranges. pretty close, a long ways away and somewheres in between. an i'm surprised that there's anyone here that remembers beanie and cecil. Lark.

I think I'm either going to get a bigger gun or a fully auto. Then I can make all the dust I want. Plus the reloading part will be much faster with a full auto.

What the heck are you guys talking about with the beanie stuff?

Later,

recurveman - off to the gun store to buy a cannon

I'm looking at my ballistics and wondering how to judge what 12 inches, 20 inches ect is at a given distance.  I know that there are certain measurements that are pretty consisten on a coues and I'm wondering what everyone uses and how reliable it really is.  Any help would be great. 

Thanks,

recurveman

Recurveman,

My best advice would be to know what your gun can do. I shoot a 300 win mag that?s equipped with a Leupold Vari-X scope. We sent the scope into a company that gutted the insides and placed dots ranging from 300 yards out to 700 yards. What this does is it eliminates a lot of the guesswork, and allows you a much greater chance to hit your target. The last deer I shot was just over 600 yards and with the right equipment and a lot of practice and???some LUCK it makes things a lot easier. The good thing is if you miss at that range chances are good you?ll get another shot.

LukeAdams

I don't think I explained myself as good as I could have. I'm really looking for info on the size of the deer. Then I can figure out where I have to aim.

Here is an example. I know that my load shoots 22" low at 450 yards. So if I have a deer at 450 what can I use to estimate 22". If I know the chest is 15" then I can figure out 22" without to much problem. But if the deer is laying down and I can't see the whole chest then what do I use? I'm basically looking for as many measurements of a coues as possible. I've got the whole gun thing pretty down pat but the deer thing is my biggest concern.

I guess most of this could be solved by getting closer. I'm a bowhunter at heart and you think I could get closer than 450 yards!!!!!!!

Later,

recurveman